We’re Hiring!Leave a Comment
We’re looking for an Executive Assistant. To apply, read the job description below, and submit a cover letter and resume to A+ Schools at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than January 10, 2013. Please use your cover letter to describe what aspect of the job interests you the most and demonstrate your ability to be persuasive.
Announcement of Open Position
A+ Schools – Pittsburgh’s independent community advocate for equity and excellence in public education – is seeking a highly productive, strategic, and experienced individual to join our team of dedicated, mission-driven professionals.
A+ Schools is an independent community advocate for equity and excellence in public education in Pittsburgh. We envision a public education system in Pittsburgh where:
- Overall student achievement continues to rise, with 100% of students graduating, and 80% finishing a training program, 2 year or 4 year university program, and
- Race is not a factor in determining which students: are in the highest and lowest achievement categories, graduate from high school or matriculate in training programs or colleges and universities.
A+ Schools’ purpose is to be a community force advancing the highest educational achievement and character development for every public school student. We choose to specifically focus on issues of educational equity because significant barriers exist that directly and indirectly deny groups of students a high quality education. To achieve educational equity in Pittsburgh Public Schools must enact policies and practices that specifically increase opportunities and resources for African American students.
Our work focuses community attention on the specific issues at hand through research and policy analysis; explicitly engages and elevates community voices from the communities most at risk; creates opportunities at multiple levels of engagement for citizens to get involved in removing barriers to student success; and seeks to build broad community will to advance change in the public education system.
We desire to hire an individual who is not only passionate about this work but understands that it requires a strong support system behind the scenes. As every aspect of our organization continues to grow, we have identified a need for reinforcement at our executive level and request applicants for a full-time Executive Assistant.
Summary of Position
The Executive Assistant provides administrative, project management, communications, and writing support and assistance to the executive director. The Executive Assistant organizes and coordinates communication with the board of directors, staff, funders, and external partners. The Executive Assistant also oversees special projects. This position requires creativity and the desire to work within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven, and community oriented. The Executive Assistant must have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. This position requires the ability to work autonomously on high-level projects from conception to completion, and the ability to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. This position works collaboratively with others in the A+ organization including both staff and board members.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the executive director including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the executive director’s schedule is followed and respected creating positive situations for direct access to the executive director’s time.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the executive director, with board members, donors, staff, and others related to the executive director’s priorities.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the executive director, including those of sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Works closely and effectively with the executive director to keep her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a “barometer,” having sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the executive director updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the executive director, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the executive director’s ability to effectively lead the organization.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Serves as the executive director’s administrative liaison to the A+ Schools’ board of directors.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members
- Adheres to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
- Prepares, assembles, and distributes board materials.
Strategic Support to Internal and External Teams:
- Participates as a member of the staff and program team including assisting in scheduling and preparing for internal meetings and participating in internal meetings.
- Participates as a member of the staff team including facilitating effective and efficient communication and decision making on operational, program and strategic issues.
- Works on strategic initiatives in coordinating the executive director’s outreach activities and coordinating communications among the internal team related to the initiative.
- Follows up on contacts made by the executive director and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships
- Prepares acknowledgement letters from the executive director to donors
- Prepares and edits grant proposals and reports and supporting materials
Assist with other work deemed necessary to accomplish the mission of A+ Schools as directed by the executive director.
- Bachelor’s degree required plus at least five years’ experience preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat; familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors
- Expert level written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Emotional maturity
- Highly resourceful team-player with the ability to be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands and demonstrate the highest level of service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Forward looking thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume to A+ Schools at email@example.com by no later than January 10, 2013. Please use your cover letter to describe what aspect of the job interests you the most and demonstrate your ability to be persuasive.