We all have a stake in providing a quality education for every Pittsburgh student. It is an investment in our community and our future.
As Pittsburgh’s advocate for excellence and equity in city schools, A+ Schools partners with families, students, community leaders, school administrators, teachers and staff to identify and remove barriers to student success and build broad support to advance lasting change.
Through our various programs, we seek to engage and elevate voices from those communities most at risk and provide opportunities for involvement at multiple levels. We work together to advance educational equity, take strong positions grounded in research, and inform and organize the community to act in the best interest of students.
Each year, hundreds of students, parents, educators and concerned citizens volunteer their time through our many programs:
- Students in TeenBloc work to advance the voice and influence of youth in school reform.
- Parents and community members team up as Parent Nation community ambassadors at some of our most vulnerable schools where they encourage families to take action.
- During School Board elections, community volunteers help us distribute voter guides and election information, knock on doors, make phone calls and host candidate forums through our Voter Education initiative.
- School Works volunteers serve as community action researchers, visiting schools to interview staff and collect information on the student resources, opportunities and barriers in our schools.
- Board Watch volunteers raise expectations for the School Board by attending and observing meetings and evaluating governance.
- Volunteers also serve with us on task forces, in focus groups and advisory groups, and work with us through partner organizations and as co-sponsors of events and campaigns.